DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

@Aussie Ora-Overall, I tend to agree that planks don't do much for flavor. They're a convenient way of loading/unloading the fish, provide a bit of a heat deflector, and help contain the messy glaze a bit, rather than have it gunk up grates and fall into the fire. Otherwise, planks are definitely optional in my book.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2016 at 5:45 AM, Aussie Ora said:

Planks are expensive here for what they are anyway I've managed a couple of cooks off one but over them now lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grillemoji621.png

They can be lightly sanded and used many times. Also, follow Steven Raichlen's video on Project Smoke to lightly char the plank just before putting the fish on, so it will pick up some of the woody character. I think that it helped when I did the salmon for the Pink Flamingo dinner. Note: there's a couple of alder wood chunks on the coals; hence, the smoke plume.

017.JPG

• Like 2

I did HalfSmoke's Greek Souflima today. It is easy and very tasty. Next time I will cut back on the salt though.;)

Figured since I was firing up the grill I might just as well make good use of it and cook some beets and onions.

Both these beets are large, the bigger one is the size of a turnip.:shock:

Grilling Beets.jpg

Pork is ready for the grill. The beets are underneath.

Grill is heating up.

Grilling.jpg

On the grill with some onions.

Skewers Just on the Grill.jpg

Grilling Pork Tenderloin.jpg

Grilling Pork.jpg

There was some interference in this meal prep. ;) 

Interference.jpg

Pork is done.

Pork Is Grilled.jpg

Grilled.jpg

Greek Souflima Dinner.jpg

Dinner is served.

Plated.jpg

Beet is cooked this is the smaller one, actually the football one is still on the grill.

Grilled Beet.jpg

Ready to Grill.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 3

Isn't this the tastiest thing that you've done in a while? I was blown away with the pork when I tried it. Definitely one for the "keeper" list. 

Interesting, as I've never grilled beets before. Have to admit, they are not high on my list of things to eat. But, I do like "bubble and squeak" every now and then.