BonFire

Oh oh

Hi all, i'm from Fremantle Western Aus. and pretty close to pulling the trigger on a KK (with the wife's blessing of course).  Been reading and digesting heaps of info from the great site, but i'm still stuck on whether to get the 32 or 23. Sounds like Dennis has created a wondrous thing here

Got myself a BigJoe about 8-9 months ago and have really enjoyed the kamado cooking since, but now i thinks its time to step-up to the next level. Most of the time its just the wife and myself, but every once and a while we have a family do on or one of the kids will invite the horde over (hey pop you gonna cook for us), hence where the BB32 comes into the fold. But then i'm thinking get the 23 and keep BigJoe as back-up.

If any one can chime in and ease my mind with the weight of the BB32 (400kg's+) not sure how wide the wheels are on it but my patio surface is this product http://www.stoneset.com.au/, so is my driveway, probably nothing to worry about. 

Anyways today I'm a square tile Terra Blue kinda guy and looking forward to joining the club.

Edited by BonFire

Welcome @BonFire!  I'll open the bidding as someone who had this dilemma relatively recently.  Everyone said that two was better than one and @bosco did a number on me, literally, by comparing the costs and telling me to "bleed once".  I love having two KKs - it makes it possible to grill at high temps in one while smoking or roasting slowly in another.  I know it sounds like an extravagance to have two running at once but the responsiveness and fuel economy of the KKs means that it is really cost effective - once you've paid out for the KKs that is!

Having said all that, if I was to only buy one it would be the 32".  Those who have them talk about being able to just cook on half the KK with the split basket but you would also have room to expand when the kids descend on you.  Good luck.  It's going to be a great journey.  

• Like 1

I pre-dated the 32" era.

I started with one 23", then added a 19.5" so I had the flexibility that tekobo refers to.

Over time, i added another 23" for capacity when, as you say so appropriately, the 'hoard' comes over.

With the 23 & 19.5 units I was able to churn out enough pork and brisket for 60+ people; now with the added 23 i can also do all the appetizers as well as sides.

I use the 19.5 the most for us during the week and the others on weekends with friends/family.

It is a tough decision, but if I had to make it today I'd go with one 32 and one 21.

Good luck with the decision and remember which ever way you go, you are getting top notch quality and won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

I have both a 23 and a 32. If you can have only one, get the 32. It’s the better grill of the two. Yup, I said it. Realize each of my kids is special in their own way, but the 32 is a better grill. Some of the reasons:

• True two zone grilling. This is difficult to achieve in most Kamados, even with the 23 and basket splitter. The 32 makes this easy. Don’t underestimate the value of true two-zone in a Kamado.
  • It isn’t too big for day to day small cooks, which is how I use it (in two-zone configuration of course).
  • Extra real estate. When you need it you’ve got it. 
  • Rolls easy for a big guy. No issues with weight and rolling. 
  • More agile temp control. Realize this seems counterintuitive, but it’s true. My 32 is quicker to respond to the throttle than the 23.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum BonFire.   I struggled with the same decision a few months ago as well.   I ultimately decided on the 32 (terra blue).   I typically only cook for my family of four, but for those times I cook for a larger crowd the extra real estate sure comes in handy.   I can’t compare it to the 23, but I’ll echo Pequod’s comments above.  Don’t discount the two zone cooking ability.  The shape and size of this grill makes it easy, and that was important to me since I grill as much or more than I cook low and slow.  

I also have a big joe, and I know the divide and conquer system somewhat accomplishes the two zone cooking but not like this 32.  It’s a fabulous grill and you won’t be disappointed.  I must admit, I’m also on the fence for some crazy reason to purchase one of the new 21” like tekobo has also.     

• Like 1

Thnx for the welcomes and advice people, been talking with the wife and come to realise that what many of you are saying rings true, which is better to have the extra capacity and not need it than to need it and not have it. Also paying around the extra 20% for the BB 32 is a no-brainer for me.  

IMG_1459.jpeg

i don't know who's this one is but i pinched it of the forum to show my lady.....she's gorgeous.....and so is my wife 

Edited by BonFire
  • Like 2

I only cook for two most of the time but I didn’t hesitate and went for the 32”. If money and space isn’t an issue it’s a no brainer. It’s always better to have the space and not need it. With cooking most of us are adventurous and want to try some cool things. My goal is to cook a whole pig real soon and I can do it no problem with the 32”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I know I am kind of late to this party, but I was making this same choice and I ultimately decided on the 23. My reasoning is this- if I am entertaining for a large crowd I am either doing a large cut of meat or a low and slow. I will not be grilling small pieces of meat for a party. I did that once and I hated it because I never got to relax and just enjoy the company. The 23 will hold a large cut of meat or enough BBQ for a fairly large crowd. While I kind of wanted the space, I knew that I, personally, would not need the space because of how I like to cook.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2018 at 1:36 AM, Shuley said:

I know I am kind of late to this party, but I was making this same choice and I ultimately decided on the 23. My reasoning is this- if I am entertaining for a large crowd I am either doing a large cut of meat or a low and slow. I will not be grilling small pieces of meat for a party. I did that once and I hated it because I never got to relax and just enjoy the company. The 23 will hold a large cut of meat or enough BBQ for a fairly large crowd. While I kind of wanted the space, I knew that I, personally, would not need the space because of how I like to cook.

I hear you.....and makes sense, i don't mind grilling for 5-6 people, any more and it can become a chore.

Christmas was at home this year so i went full on into the cooks starting the day prior with 2 pork shoulders of which one took a full 2hrs+ more to get to temp than the other, so by the time i got the chicken wings on it was late into the night, the ribeye roast was going to be started early morning anyways. If there were 2 cookers life would've been a lot easier.

Somehow i get the feeling i keep answering my own questions, but i appreciate the input from you forum members

Edited by BonFire

I only have a 23", but since you already have the BigJoe for doing sides and secondary cooking, go with the 32" and have all the real estate you'd ever need for bigger parties. Using the basket splitter makes it easy to scale down to cooking for just a couple of people. Which ever way you go, you are going to LOVE the KK. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BonFire said:

another question if someone can answer (thnx) when you guys and gals go to direct grill steaks and sausages for a group, do you do it with the lid up or down

I am new to the KK but have had 3 major kamado I always cook kid closed so I keep my lid closed on the KK also

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BonFire said:

another question if someone can answer (thnx) when you guys and gals go to direct grill steaks and sausages for a group, do you do it with the lid up or down

Typically do a reverse sear, where I’m cooking indirect with the upper half grate over the cold half of a split coal basket with lid down until within 5-10 degrees of desired internal temp. Then I crank the vents to rapidly up the heat on the direct side. Only takes a minute or two per side with the direct, reverse sear, so will usually keep the lid open at that point since I’m actively turning the meat to get a nice crust on. 

• Like 2

Per Dennis, leaving the lid open for extended periods of high heat grilling is bad for the acrylic Adhesive/Grout/Insulation that holds the tiles on, plus you can forget that the handle will get real hot and can burn yourself badly. Short stints like a 2 min reverse sear isn't too bad for it, but I still slightly close the lid down to keep the handle from getting hot. 

• Like 1