DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Here are a couple of prime NY strips.  I reverse seared them and initially smoked with hickory and Jealous Devil @ 250 degrees for an hour or so bringing the internal temp to 127 degrees.  I then let them rest as the cooker climbed to 550 degree dome temp.  Seared them for 1 minute a side just over the coals.  I didn't take the time to take sexy pics of the finished product.  Plating is not looking good and is "messy" per my wife Christine, but the cook looks great.  I used Hardcore Carnivore "Black," which is why they look so dark prior to the sear.

1st_Steak_Smoking.thumb.jpg.f8d393248952e49f647f6b2f8c0f0113.jpgSear1.thumb.jpg.f31e2f4c088147c3a6176f83c4fcd5a7.jpgSear2.thumb.jpg.65abf44fa902c96acb4d36772b3583ba.jpgResults.thumb.jpg.5564cbc3d552f457773a07fc7ca004ea.jpg

• Like 11

Yep, plated pictures are a true test of patience, looking at the finished product and wanting to immediately dive right in! 

1 hour ago, Wingman505 said:

I used Hardcore Carnivore "Black," which is why they look so dark prior to the sear.

I assume it's like other similar rubs (I used Gunpowder), that have a bit of actual charcoal in them?

29 minutes ago, Wingman505 said:

Can I vacuum seal then freeze?  Is that good for it?

That would work. I purchased an air tight container that holds a 1lb bag and keep it in the freezer. Probably about 3 years old at this point but still works just fine.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Wingman505 said:

Can I vacuum seal then freeze?  Is that good for it?

I have packets of vac sealed yeast in my freezer. Works great. That said, I use very little commercial yeast thanks to my sourdough starter.

• Like 3

On 5/4/2020 at 7:38 AM, Braai-Q said:

We have Wild Garlic growing abundantly in the woods behind our house so in our prescribed daily exercise, we foraged some and I'm currently working up some recipes with it.

I had a plant growing in the backyard and thought it may be related to your post because I view narrow boat travelers on Youtube that have come across this same herb in the UK. So, here are a couple of pics and although they differ from yours somewhat in leaf design they matched the travelers video exactly. So, I went out into the yard and snipped a small leaf.. I chewed it a swallowed it, it had light taste of garlic, I hit the bonanza. Well, I'm hoping it was and not poison Ivy or Sumac........these things have a way of coming around, so to speak. Let me know, wild garlic in my backyard, it is New England............ 

DSCF2976.JPG

DSCF2977.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

I had a plant growing in the backyard and thought it may be related to your post because I view narrow boat travelers on Youtube that have come across this same herb in the UK. So, here are a couple of pics and although they differ from yours somewhat in leaf design they matched the travelers video exactly. So, I went out into the yard and snipped a small leaf.. I chewed it a swallowed it, it had light taste of garlic, I hit the bonanza. Well, I'm hoping it was and not poison Ivy or Sumac........these things have a way of coming around, so to speak. Let me know, wild garlic in my backyard, it is New England............ 

DSCF2976.JPG

DSCF2977.JPG

I'm not sure if I'm honest. The leaves look a little Nettle like in shape. You don't want to eat raw Nettle. I brushed against some yesterday morning and my leg is still stinging from the experience. Dread to think. The plant looks like some sort of Viburnum (opulus or dentatum). Or it looks a bit like a Guelder Rose. I'm not an adventurous forager, tend to only really forage blackberries and wild garlic. Do you have a link to the YouTube video, might give me some clues.

• Like 2

It was good, no sting or abrasion..old enough to know the difference, lucky me. I don't know links but if this description works ( On You Tube ..Floating our boat : Hey Pesto Episode 92    It was a match, really, some good people working through the divide.  Keep safe and thanks

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 1:18 AM, Tyrus said:

DSCF2960 (1).JPG

I've been catching up on everyone's cooks. Drooltastic. It is 06:43 here and I now have a hankering for meat and red wine.  A good start to an excellent day methinks.  Will exercise first to justify it.

I have been sorting through cookbooks to reduce my collection and picked up one of Heston Blumenthal's "perfection" books.  He devotes quite a few pages to the perfect burger.  His perfect burger minces chuck, aged short rib and brisket.  I was planning on trying it out before I saw Tyrus' post.  Now there is NO way I am mincing my brisket.  Yum. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

I've been catching up on everyone's cooks. Drooltastic. It is 06:43 here and I now have a hankering for meat and red wine.  A good start to an excellent day methinks.  Will exercise first to justify it.

I have been sorting through cookbooks to reduce my collection and picked up one of Heston Blumenthal's "perfection" books.  He devotes quite a few pages to the perfect burger.  His perfect burger minces chuck, aged short rib and brisket.  I was planning on trying it out before I saw Tyrus' post.  Now there is NO way I am mincing my brisket.  Yum. 

There are times when I actually have to avoid this forum because it makes me think about inappropriate meals at odd times. Usually when I can't do anything about them. There was the 11:30pm brisket the other day which is your 6.43am burger of this morning. 

The problem I have with Heston is that I think he sometimes does things because it's expected, not because it needs it and I've tried a few of his 'set a day aside to cook this' recipes and come out the other side thinking that it wasn't really worth the effort. While I'm the first to embrace a complicated recipe, there is also joy in something simple. 

Have an egg with your burger which will make it breakfast and have your cranberry juice in a wine glass. Then seamlessly transition around lunch to red wine. 😄

• Like 4