Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter
Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Recommended Posts

While reading and watching Macs butternut squash dinner and her saying how she liked the vermiculite system, I ended up buying one! It’s going to be delivered next week. It’s my early Christmas present to myself. It’s been a long time since I last posted something but I do log on a lot just to see who is cooking and looking at the great meals you all post! Just wanted to say hello to all kamado friends. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

While reading and watching Macs butternut squash dinner and her saying how she liked the vermiculite system, I ended up buying one! It’s going to be delivered next week. It’s my early Christmas present to myself. It’s been a long time since I last posted something but I do log on a lot just to see who is cooking and looking at the great meals you all post! Just wanted to say hello to all kamado friends. 

It is good to know you are lurking, Bruce. I was about to send out he posse to find you. :smt003 :smt077 I was slow to warm to the Vermicular Musui Kamado but knowing the $$$ I spent I had to use it. The more I used it the more I found things to use it for, now I consider it to be one of the best items I have ever bought and would replace in a heart beat if I had to . They have wonderful recipes on their website too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fired up the 42 tonight.  This thing has a ton of real estate and I am enjoying it.  Basket splitter split about 50/50 with the fire on the left side.  Used the cold smoker attachment with wood chips left over from a hickory tree felled in my old front yard to generate smoke for those steaks.  They smoked up on that top grate on the right side away from the fire while the veggies were cooking down low.  Then I put those steaks down on the lower grate for the final sear after taking the veggies off.  Everything turned out great.  Needless to say , I'm really enjoying my KK.  The steaks were as good as they could be made.  They were just choice strips from kroger (nothing fancy).  Salt, freshly cracked pepper, sage, garlic powder.  Veggies were just EVOO and sea salt and the great KK fire.  Yum.
 
KG1.thumb.png.c97117542862364e7d2921a6bb485e7c.png
KG2.thumb.png.7459501ea19ed46dac9bed93f395b609.png
KG3.thumb.png.ab72be82e6e20c0569c884d85ebfdcba.png
KG5.thumb.png.38f11fd1cab3741bcb8273c4e8c5ed80.png
KG6.thumb.png.a753654883a98e36c142d943a5029556.png
KG7.thumb.png.7da7b61fa582cce06c62a187ed4ead40.png
KG8.thumb.png.d47df53d78ad49177e4d65e6980957ac.png

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Troble said:

@C6Bill nice looking bird. What time/temp did you cook that bad boy at?

@johnnymnemonic looks like you’re off to a great start 

I like to cook them at 400. So for this one it took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Seasoned with Mad Max Turkey Rub and a little baking soda. Once the internal temp is where I want it the skin will be nice and crispy then I sauce it and let it sit in the KK for another 10 minutes with the vents closed down, just long enough to set the sauce.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2021 at 11:17 AM, C6Bill said:

I like to cook them at 400. So for this one it took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Seasoned with Mad Max Turkey Rub and a little baking soda. Once the internal temp is where I want it the skin will be nice and crispy then I sauce it and let it sit in the KK for another 10 minutes with the vents closed down, just long enough to set the sauce.  

I am not sure what all the fuss is about turkey.  I never eat it if I can avoid it - too much else that is much nicer.  I want to make a fuss about your bread.  It looks great.  Like the Incredible Hulk ripping out of his shirt!  How do you get that effect @C6Bill?  My sourdough does not come close. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, tekobo said:

I am not sure what all the fuss is about turkey.  I never eat it if I can avoid it - too much else that is much nicer.  I want to make a fuss about your bread.  It looks great.  Like the Incredible Hulk ripping out of his shirt!  How do you get that effect @C6Bill?  My sourdough does not come close. 

The bread doesn't look green to me...

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, tekobo said:

I am not sure what all the fuss is about turkey.  I never eat it if I can avoid it - too much else that is much nicer.  I want to make a fuss about your bread.  It looks great.  Like the Incredible Hulk ripping out of his shirt!  How do you get that effect @C6Bill?  My sourdough does not come close. 

We have a good local farm, a fresh turkey is a good turkey :) 

For the bread I proof in a Banneton bowl and then score the loaf similar to a tic tac toe and cook in a dutch oven to get good oven spring. Pre heat oven to 450 and set to 435 once you put the Dutch Oven inside. 30 minutes with the lid on then 20 minutes with the lid off and 10 minutes with the oven turned off and the door partially opened. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Smoked chuck roast.

You want a smoke ring like this? Then cook hot & fast at 300 degrees. I’m also a fan of the heat deflector plates that no one seems to like here, they allow you to get the fire burning hotter for that good smoke ring without your temps getting too high. I notice there is a drop of about 35-50 degrees with the same vent settings when using the deflectors.

Also I have become a full fledged convert to the KK external smoker, cooking hot and fast you get excellent smoke flavor without it being over powering. Knotty Wood pellets are my favorite fuel source and produce delicious BBQ. Been falling more in love with my 21. Getting an offset smoker soon hope to make a comparison in the future.
a2c4ceced9ec6bd3db4f885f3e2be7cc.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...