DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Hello everybody a follow up on my purchase of the vermiculite musui kamado. I made some rice in it and it was the best rice I’ve ever made! Sorry no pictures but then I made some waterless minestrone soup and it turned out great very tasty. Just wanted to share that with you all. Have a wonderful Thanks Giving!!

55EFC913-26F6-43B5-9896-B1E15F5F56FC.jpeg

43C6DA0F-1DAA-42F6-B8BB-EE99DBE3D3C5.jpeg

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Forrest said:

Also I have become a full fledged convert to the KK external smoker, cooking hot and fast you get excellent smoke flavor without it being over powering. Knotty Wood pellets are my favorite fuel source and produce delicious BBQ. Been falling more in love with my 21. 

Yep I noticed great flavor with my first go on the smoker attachment.  i have been using up my supply of wood chips from a tree we cut down 3 years ago at my old house (locally grown hickory - doesn't get any better than that).  if you really get the chips going at the beginning they will stay going. I had to re-light a couple of times the first time, but I think that is because I didn't get it going enough at the beginning. After my 2nd relight it just kept going and going (a couple of hours). 

I have some kingsford hickory pellets that will start using when I burn the rest of the tree product.  I have heard those are not the worst pellets. 

But anyway - what I like about the smoker attachment is that it takes all the worry out of how you set the fire.  My 42 is so big and I haven't mastered placement of wood (and timing) - and I don't have a smoke pot.  But all that fuss goes out the window if you just use the smoker attachment.

I'm about to give it a real test.  This weekend I'm doing both a pork butt for bbq and an "Al Pastor".  Just going to use the smoker attachment and see how it all turns out.  Will post here.   I'm planning on falling more in love with my 42 this weekend.

Great looking chuck roast, thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Hello everybody a follow up on my purchase of the vermiculite musui kamado. I made some rice in it and it was the best rice I’ve ever made! Sorry no pictures but then I made some waterless minestrone soup and it turned out great very tasty. Just wanted to share that with you all. Have a wonderful Thanks Giving!!

55EFC913-26F6-43B5-9896-B1E15F5F56FC.jpeg

That's the best color for the MK - it cooks way better than the other colors!

• Haha 2

Bruce, wow, what a great job and you'll find the more you use it the more things you will want to cook with it.:cheers: :smt060

I agree with you jeffshoaf, that is the best colour to cook with. Works perfectly every time.:smt046

A1594205631_CarmelizedOnion.thumb.jpg.020c0ebf74fe9a87da8a8f7ac801c663.jpg

A very little bit of water (2T) some thick slices of a sweet onion set on Low until you get some colour then set it to Ext Low until onion is cooked. :smt003

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 9

On 11/17/2021 at 8:38 AM, johnnymnemonic said:

I had to re-light a couple of times the first time, but I think that is because I didn't get it going enough at the beginning. After my 2nd relight it just kept going and going (a couple of hours). 

I recommend lighting up a couple of small pieces of charcoal and throwing them in buy the two holes on the side when starting the fire. I periodically hit the charcoal/pellets through the two vent holes during the cook with my mini culinary torch, yet to have the external smoker dye out this way.

Knotty wood plum pellets using the KK external smoker unit and Meat Church Holy Voodoo seasoning on this bird produced the best turkey I have personally had to date. Cooked at 275-300 for approx 2-3 hours until both breasts probed at 157 internal. Breasts were both injected with butter and I finished it by brushing the skin with butter. Rested in Oster at 160 degrees for 3 hours before serving. 

May be an image of food

Edited by Forrest
  • Like 8

As you may have heard, we have recently emerged from the world's longest COVID lockdown here in Melbourne... so finally had a chance to invite family over for some BBQ; first opportunity despite having the KK for almost 6 months.

Put on a brisket (meat church holy cow, 300F, 7hrs, 2hr rest) and a couple of racks of pork ribs (home made rub)- served up with some buns, tortillas, coleslaw, smoked salsa, espresso BBQ sauce and horseradish cream. Great success!

65901031778__05CADDB8-E709-49D9-AB05-D34F5A17CD1B.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

• Like 10