4wood7

Setting up our New 22" Hi-Cap Table Top

Well, we finally did it, we set up our new KK 22" after a long week in LA we came back to AZ and went to work, well our local mover set it in our backyard for us.

I have to say that this cooker is built like no other i have ever seen, the quality is excellent even the supplied tools are stainless. The cooking grates and basket are welded to near Aerospace quality. After we set up i lit a basket of lump coal to get to know how to control the temp and right from the start I was able to get a 3 hour steady temp of 250 degrees with just a few adjustments. could not be happier.

After playing around we decided to have our neighbors over and cook some poppers and chicken which all turned out fantastic. In the past with other grills we have had , Viking, Fire Majic, we only really grilled steak , chicken etc. With our new KK we plan on expanding our cooking prowess, later on this week I will be trying to smoke some salmon , I just hope I can get the KK down to 165 degrees???? not sure how to do it yet but I know I will have fun trying , then were on to Pizza. I think I figured how to get the temp cranking buy latching the lid to the first notch and opening the bottom and top vents it will get hot quick.  Lastly , the height of this KK worked out perfect for me from my wheelchair Dennis was a great help thank you allKK setting up.JPG !!    

first cook.JPG

first fire.JPG

Grate acess.JPG

Jonny Chicken.JPG

New KK.JPG

Stuffed Js.JPG

Me.JPG

Beef at the Ready.JPG

• Like 8

Looking good, @4wood7

That cow better look out!

I'm not sure about latching in the first position to heat up quick. I've never tried it, but I think you're better off latching it down and letting the vents do the work. 

I don't think you should have any issues keeping it at 165. I haven't done a smoked salmon on the KK yet, but I didn't have an issue holding my Kamado Joe that low. I'm actually planning another smoked salmon for this weekend if the stars align right.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cschaaf said:

I'm not sure about latching in the first position to heat up quick. I've never tried it, but I think you're better off latching it down and letting the vents do the work. 

Dennis does not recommend doing this, as it can damage the gaskets. Just spin fully open on the top vent and wide open on the bottom and you should be fine. If you really want to go "turbo" on it, pull out the Guru side plug, too.

btw - nice cow!

Edited by tony b
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Beautiful, Garvin. You are really going to love that tall top. Just wait until you do chicken, you are going to be surprised by how moist it will be. Thanks for posting the pixs. and that is a great yard you have.:) :smt023 :smt023:occasion7:

MacKenzie I wish, not me just commenting on the size of it:)

• Like 1

Great looking grill and great pictures. Looks like the height is perfect. 

Like others have said never run it with just the first latch position. It'll allow too much heat to escape past the gasket and that is not good for them.  For high heat in my 19" TT,  I just turn the top vent to 3 turns,  bottom vent wide open and remove the guru port plug. When it starts coming close to temp replace the port plug and close top vent to 2 turns. Eventually you might  have to start closing down the bottom vent depending on target temp. Keep an eye on it. Very easy to sail up towards 1,000*. 

• Like 1