DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Sunday dinner. Pickled schrimp as a starter, main course Sirloin steak, home fries, broccoli, spaghetti squash, garden fresh tomatoes in a light greek, with peach, blackberry cobbler for dessert cooked with coals in the Lodge dutch oven.

DSCF4325.JPG

DSCF4327.JPG

DSCF4321.JPG

DSCF4322.JPG

DSCF4323.JPG

DSCF4326.JPG

DSCF4328.JPG

• Like 8

I follow Kent Rollins, he's a good piece of work and so I followed his lead here. Simple and easy, simple to change out and spot on for end results. I did deviate from his original plan though. Having no charcoal briquettes and only charcoal logs it took some work to chop them down to use. He pictured a trivet he used to support the Lodge DOven but I didn't have one, the only thing available were some broken ends of bricks and they were perfectky fine using them to support the three legs, just make sure your batter lays level in the pot or you'll have too much on one side. The rest from there on in is  fun games of moving and placing the coals and switching/turning the lid, I never changed out the base as was recommended, it was too difficult from the elevated brick stand. The whole cook is easy, it's slow, take a peek now and then. Time it out for guests just for dessert  with all those dirty coals sitting on the lid or cook it in the KK and make it a clean presentation . Anyhow it sits and stays warm for quite a while, and if you think it's too much sugar and you got a notion to trim her down I'm sure it'll work

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2

Bottom round at 225-40 with perforated deflector tin for 1 3/4 hours. I had a full row of meat carefully aligned for the pic, when I returned from retrieving my camera it was picked apart. The Whirlpool beer is similar to Sam Adams summer ale, both from Boston but I prefer this one. Not much of a sear, the temp was to close to 140 so I did what was possible.

DSCF4333.JPG

DSCF4335 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4337 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 6

Most of the Mayo was near the bottom, on top of the lettuce, but you can see a little oozing through the top left. The sourdough isn't good at mayo containment with all those holes lol

Edited by C6Bill
  • Haha 2

Yesterday anpther batch of Stuffies went on the KK, talk about a tight fit,,,36 in all.  Then while the coals were still pumping out the heat a bone in Turkey breast marinated in a herb, Rhine wine, olive oil and mustard sauce slid onto the grate. I hope I can remember the blend, it had an aroma of heaven....fresh herbs are the best, and it popped with the addition of the Dijon, I wqs surpised after only a 5 hr marinate you could taste the herbs, I did poke the breast with a knife for penetration and added an oddity to the mix that worked out well...Apple Cider Vinegar. Next time an overnight soak will hopefully produce a more intense flavor

DSCF4339 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4341.JPG

DSCF4342.JPG

DSCF4343.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Love stuffies, but rarely make them myself. 

These quoahogs were hours from the ocean and readily available around here Toney. I was wondering there in the great metropolis of Cedar Rapids if you have a go to Seafood market. Could be a foolish question but when I look at the map I didn't see any oceans close by lol., but that doesn't mean much if there's a market for them or for lobsters and other related ocean products. I'll be in Steamboat Colorado again next week, I'll keep an eye out when cruising the country side.  You get spoiled and take things for granted sometime.

All these meals you are all cooking look so amazing... 

I'm out of action for 1-2 months at least as I broke my leg almost 2 weeks ago, and as the only KK user/ cook in our house I'm going to have to live vicariously through you guys until October or so. So keep the great photos coming!

• Like 2
  • Sad 4